Monday, June 6, 2016

June 16 is National Fudge Day

Fudge Candy

Chocolate fudge candy is an American original, thought to have first been introduced in the late 1800s.  The story of the recipe was found in a letter written by Emelyn Battersby Hartridge, a Vassar College student, who wrote about a candy recipe she received from a schoolmate's cousin in Baltimore. Emerlyn, along with a group of Vassar girls, used the recipe to make the fudge to sell at the  Vassar College Senior Auction. It was popular there for many years.  

Later, shopkeepers on Mackinac Island in Michigan made their version of fudge for summer visitors and it is still produced in some of the original shops on Mackinac Island to this day.


What is Fudge?


Fudge is a soft candy.  Most fudge is prepared with sugar, butter, milk and your favorite flavor (such as chocolate... yum). Some recipes use water instead of milk or cream and some types of fudge are made using white corn syrup.


My Favorite Fudge Recipe

 

Scanned page from my Candy Cookbook
My favorite fudge recipe is called Fudge Drops Supreme.  It comes from a 1958 publication by the editors of Good Housekeeping Magazine.  As a young cook, I collected the series of cook 'booklets' that were published then, each on a different food group. From the 'Candy Booklet' came the fudge recipe I've used exclusively for my fudge-making, as I love it best of all fudge I've had. I ALWAYS make this recipe at Christmastime and often use it for gifts to friends and family who (also) love fudge best of all candies. I think it's the 'cocoa' and 'butter' that makes it taste so good!  Since it is hard to read the recipe in the small image of the scanned cookbook, I have written the recipe out below:

Source: Amazon

Fudge Drops Supreme

(Makes 3-1/2 dozen)


Ingredients:


  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa
  • 3/4 cup cold water
  • 1/2 cup butter (or margarine, but I think butter tastes best)
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped toasted almonds (or nut of your choice - I like walnuts best in my fudge)


Instructions:


In 2-qt. saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa and water.  Over low heat, bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.  If using candy thermometer, set in place.  Add the butter; cook to 234 degrees F, or until a little mixture in cold water forms soft ball.  Remove from heat; cool to 130 degrees F, or until outside of saucepan feels lukewarm to hand.  Add vanilla extract and nuts.  Beat until creamy.  Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper.  

*Author Note:  Actually, I don't make this fudge recipe into 'drops'. Instead, I pour the finished fudge into a square 8 x 8 inch pan and cut it up as most fudge recipes are done.  Takes less time than the 'drop' method .... and tastes just as good! But the 'drops' are fun for kids to help with.

 

Kinds of Fudge

 

Chocolate fudge has become a favorite, but there are other types too, depending upon what flavoring you add to the recipe.  There's chocolate chip fudge, marshmallow fluff fudge, fudge with fruit such as cranberries or orange, nutty fudge, peppermint fudge, butterscotch fudge and many, many more. You could add just about any flavoring you desire to a basic fudge recipe.


Cynthia Sylvestermouse shares her mom's favorite fudge recipe - Peanut Butter Fudge.

 

More Candy Days

 

There are several other Fudge Days, such as Nutty Fudge Day on May 12 and Peanut Butter Fudge Day on November 20. There are also many chocolate candy and other candy days throughout the year.  Read a fun list of candy days you can celebrate at June is National Candy Month.

 

Fudge Day


Celebrate Fudge Day on June 16 - and anytime you wish all year long - with a piece (or a pound) of this delicious confectionery, a popular favorite among candy lovers.

(c) Wednesday Elf - June 2016




Note: The author may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”

10 comments:

  1. My sister and I stir a big spoonful of peanut butter into the chocolate fudge during the cooling stage (our recipe is similar to yours). I think we've both had marriage proposals as a result! I've been wanting fudge recently. Not that I need an excuse, but a holiday especially for fudge is a very good reason to pull out the ingredients and get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanut butter in fudge - yum. Almost like a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Let me know when your fudge is ready, Susan, and I'll stop over for a piece (or two). :)

      Delete
  2. the recipe sounds so good - my mom makes incredible fudge, and I told her NOT to make while I'm visiting because all I'll be doing is thinking about, and resisting, and failing! (I told mom that June 16th is national fudge day, but again, don't make it!) - so what is she going to do right now, she's off to make a pie (dayammmm)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I come by for a piece of your mom's pie, Barbara? Is it going to be chocolate pie? My favorite! :)

      Delete
  3. Ok! Bring on the fudge! I'm ready to celebrate! I just may actually make a batch of fudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I've gotten everyone interested in making a pan of fudge with this article. Enjoy yours, Barbara.

      Delete
  4. Would you believe that recipe is my grandmother's fudge recipe too. She may well have gotten it from the same magazine. It really is the best homemade chocolate fudge recipe. We cut ours is square as you described too. I haven't made that fudge in a really long time. Makes me want to grab my pan and get to work!

    You are so sweet to include my mom's peanut butter fudge! I was just reading along and smiled even bigger when I got down to the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't pass up sharing the link to your mom's peanut butter fudge, Mouse. Maybe she'll make a batch for me someday. :)

      Delete
  5. Um. . .yum! Peanut butter chocolate is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like peanut butter fudge has a lot of fans. Thanks for stopping by, Paula.

      Delete